Recipe of the Month: Sweet Potato Pancakes
By: Natalie McCulloch N.D.
This is a delicious breakfast option that will use up your sweet potato leftovers. It is both gluten and dairy free.
– 1 egg
– ¾ cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
– ½ cup almond milk
– 2 tsp. nut oil
– ½ tsp. vanilla
– ½ cup brown rice flour
– 2 tbsp. tapioca flour
– ½ tsp. baking powder
– ¼ tsp. cinnamon
– Pinch of ginger and nutmeg
– In a bowl beat egg until light and foamy
– Beat in sweet potato, milk, oil and vanilla
– Combine in the dry ingredients and add to the wet mixture; mix until well combined
– Lightly oil a skillet and bring to medium heat
– Scoop 2-3 tbsp. of batter into hot skillet and cook until the bottom is browned.
– Flip pancake(s) over and cook the other side until lightly brown.
Makes around 8 pancakes
Serve with soy yogurt and fresh fruit or apple butter and fruit
Adapted from Wholesome Gourmet: the Art of gluten-free cuisine by Steven Winkler