Pre and post natal care with a perinatal naturopathic doctor
Home consultations available. Serving Durham, Toronto and GTA for 16 years.
New! Check out our Naturopathic Post-Partum Private In-Home Support Services
The Barefoot Doctor Naturopathic Clinic is a leader in the field of Maternal/Newborn Based care as it is related to natural health and wellness. Dr. Lisa Doran N.D is the Founder of the Association of Perinatal Naturopathic Doctors (APND), and a past faculty member at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine where she taught third year obstetrics.
She is dedicated to the philosopy of trusting your body through the normal processes of pregnancy, labour and birth and provides support both prenatally, during labour and postpartum using gentle remedies to strengthen and nourish the body. Dr. Doran has worked at both home and at hospital births, with midwives, general practitioners, obstetricians and as part of the team with doula’s since 1991. She has three beautifully homebirthed sons and speaks passionately about women’s right to informed consent in their birth experience.
Who can be helped with naturopathic medicine?
The most common health conditions seen by naturopathic doctors during pregnancy and postpartum include:
- Infertility or repeated miscarriages can often be addressed by restoring balance to the body. Often a combination of acupuncture, botanical medicine and clinical nutrition will be used.
- Common Concerns such as nausea, constipation, backache, heartburn, leg cramps, fitness plans and wellness questions and nutritional consultations
- Strep B: Using clinical nutrition and botanical remedies we can reverse and prevent a diagnosis of strep B, we can strengthen amniotic membranes, and increase immunity thereby lessening the risk to the fetus.
- Pregnancy Induced Hypertension: We work closely with women who have developed PIH or who have a history of hypertensionto continue to have healthy, medication free pregnancies.
- Post- dates Pregnancy often a combination of homeopathics, botanical remedies and acupuncture can prevent a hospitalized induction
- Labour and Birth concerns: Our clinic provides a unique on-call service or private attendance at labours where we address such issues as: stalled labour, long labours, backache, retained placenta, postpartum hemorrhage
- Post partum: episiotomy healing, tonification, prevention of infection, afterpains, cesarean scar prevention and minimization with acupuncture..
- Breastfeeding: breastfeeding consultations, thrush, sore nipples, cracked nipples, low milk production